Skip to main content

Gotcha Day and the aftermath

           We have been in China now for one week.  I have deliberately refrained from sharing about each day and each excursion because there have been so many emotions and feelings about it, most of which are really for our family, especially our daughter to know and share and experience and not meant for sharing on the world wide web.
      Monday was our Gotcha Day of Xiang Ling (Felicity Grace) and this is a day that I do want to share. It was a full, busy day and there were so many emotions that enveloped the day. 
       Due to jet lag, Pete and I have been waking up 3 AM most mornings and Monday morning was no different.  But, what was different was that neither of us could fall asleep again.  We talked and prayed about the upcoming day until about 5AM and then got ready to be at breakfast by 6:30.  We met our guide at 8:30 AM and then headed to the orphanage. The orphanage was only 20 minutes from our hotel, and during that time, I had to keep on reminding myself to take deep breaths and just relax.  As we pulled past the gates of the orphanage, tears started to fill my eyes.  We were really here.  At this moment. Gotcha day. A day I dreamed about for quite a while. In less than an hour, our daughter would be placed in our arms.  She would no longer be an orphan.

        We came into the orphanage and were led to a nice room on the second floor.  Staff started to come in and out of the room, talking with our guide.  We were given paperwork to double, and triple check to make sure the information was accurate, and to sign, followed by placing our fingerprint over our signature.  As the end of the paperwork drew near, we, along with the other family, knew it would be soon. 
Our guide, Helen, disappeared from the room without a word.  I am not sure how much time passed, I was too anxiously waiting for someone to tell me when our daughter would be coming, that I did not hear the steps coming down the hall (although Pete did).  Our guide entered the room and was carrying Felicity Grace!!  To see her, in the same room, knowing the moment had come for her to be united with us was overwhelming.  I stood up and went to her.  She was happily sucking on a baby bottle full of water.   Helen handed her to me.  When I had pictured this moment in my mind and all of the emotions that I thought I would feel, I was positive I would cry. I had shed tears just thinking about Gotcha day.  Yet, I did not cry.  In that moment, as I held her in my arms for the first time, I was filled with so much joy that I started to laugh.  Not a silly, uncontrollable laugh, but a joyful laugh. 

          Felicity did not cry, at all.  Which surprised me. As I held her, she continued to drink her bottle, and she seemed rather sedate.  She started falling asleep within minutes of entering the room.  And, truthfully, it all made me nervous.  If you have been around the adoption community at all, you know there are stories of families getting to Gotcha day and their child has more, severe needs than were ever listed in the file or their child was extremely ill.  I began to feel Felicity’s forehead.  She was sweating, but in no way had a fever. As she drifted off to sleep, I tried to remind myself that I had seen video of her and there was no way that her current state could be due to a significant special need that was unshared. I tried to tell myself to relax, everything would be fine.  Even though there were lingering fears, I was just so happy to finally have her in my arms.  Felicity remained asleep for the rest of the time at the orphanage.
        After the other family was united with their son, the orphanage director came in and we were able to meet him.  He was a really nice, very friendly man, who smiled a lot (although you would not know that from the pictures).  He presented us with a small photobook with pictures of Felicity from her time at the orphanage and a gift made by some of the older, permanent residents of the SWI.  This was followed by photos, and then we left.

    The rest of the day was filled with stopping at several different governmental agencies to get our pictures taken (more than once) and to finalize the adoption. Felicity had to be woken up at our first stop.  She was content, but the poor thing seemed a bit in shock.  At one point in the afternoon, our guide Helen (whom the children at the orphanage know) walked by us and Felicity wanted to go to her.  Helen said something to her in Chinese and then said in English “stay with your mama.”  Felicity was making very little eye contact with us, and even while we played games in the hallway, she would turn away from me so as not to face me. I would hold her and she would lunge back in an attempt to get away from me.   I knew that most of these behaviors were normal, but I would not be being honest if I did not say that it did make me sad a little.  But, I had come to this moment with full knowledge of all that could happen and I just whispered in little Xiang Ling’s ear that I was not going anywhere and I would be patient with her as she grieved the loss of her life at the orphanage and adjusted to life with us.

      Now, it is two days later.  We have had more stops at more offices.  More signatures.  More pictures.  Xiang Ling is officially ours!! We have taken a tour of the city our daughter has come from. But, mostly, we have spent a lot of time at the hotel, allowing Felicity to get to know us, play with us, and for us to love on her.  Each day she has blossomed more before us.  Smiles come more readily.  She was even singing today and saying mama. She has only been with us two days, and her personality comes out in many moments.  Each smile, each laugh, each time she is in my arms and just stares into my eyes, is such a gift.  These are things I have taken for granted with my boys, but I cherish each moment with Felicity when her guard is down and she allows herself to feel comfortable enough to share herself with us.  I am happy to say that she is a mama’s girl, but still will go to Pete without a fuss.  And, even though she wanted to go tour guide on Gotcha day, there have been several times since then that our guide has motioned for Felicity to come to her, or she has wanted to pick Felicity up and Felicity has run to me, or, if, in my arms, she will turn away from my guide.  As our guide joked about it yesterday, I told her that I was glad that Felicity no longer wanted to go to her and preferred me.  Little by little she is feeling more comfortable with us and I have no doubt that all of your prayers have made this transition the joy that it is.  Xiang Ling is a precious soul and I am honored that God chose us to be a part of her story.  I am humbled by this gift that He has given us and overwhelmed by His love for us and for our daughter that is an orphan no more.



  1. Katie. She is really just so beautiful and both you and Pete look so happy- God is so good

  2. It sounds as though you've been showered by His grace. God bless you and Felicity and your new family.

  3. This is so so exciting!! Thank you so much for sharing so much of the journey with us. I love seeing all the pictures and joy. I'm sure there will be many hurdles and struggles (just like with any new baby!) but I pray that this babymoon is filled with peace, joy, and grace!! Can't wait to see the boys meet her!

  4. What a little doll. Congrats on being a mama to a sweet little girl!

  5. Thanks for sharing, Katie! It must be amazing to hear her already saying "Mama." Perhaps she had trouble sleeping the night before Gotcha Day too and finally felt at peace safe in her Mommy's arms! You are making me a Facebook addict, by the way. I can't wait to check each morning to see if you have any new photos and before bed too!

  6. Congratulations :) I first e- met you several years ago when I was blogging and found you again recently. I am SO happy for your wonderful family. GOD bless you! !


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fasting and the Current State of Our Church

I love researching diets.  If it is new and popular, I probably have read about it some and maybe have even tried it.  Lately, fasting has gained popularity.  You can find books that will provide research on just how good fasting is for the body.  And, I have been intrigued, mainly because I am horrible at fasting and the thought of restricting myself from eating food completely sounds too extreme. 

As Catholics we are called to days of fasting and abstinence, and for as strong as I like to think I am, I am quite a wimpy "faster."  But, after reading a great deal about fasting and its physical benefits, I started to feel like God was asking me to get more serious about fasting, not for the physical benefits but for the spiritual ones.  My husband and I were out for a walk the other night and I was talking about my new found respect for fasting and how I feel called to do it more, for spiritual reasons, and I started to speak about how amazing it is that fasting has so many …

Settling In

I find it ironic that the last post I posted was about our move that did not happen and how God wanted me to be moldable.  When I typed those words and prayed those words, "God make me moldable," "Move to Wisconsin" was NOT what I was envisioning.  But, sometimes God's will is surprising and unexpected.

So, here we are.  18 days as Wisconsinites.  So many people have called and texted, asking me how we are doing and I often find my words fall short.  I am better at reflecting and writing out my thoughts, so this is for all those who have asked and are wondering . . .

We are doing well.  The move has felt very natural in so many ways.  It feels comfortable here. I haven't felt out of place or a "fish out of water" here at all. The kids all like it here.  Some miss their friends tremendously, which is expected.  One of my "littles" has shown some regression, also expected, but everyone is adjusting so well to the new house and neighborhood. …

On Waiting

This past weekend we went to a book party for a priest friend who had his second book Living the Beatitudes:A Journey to Life in Christ published last fall.  The party was hosted by another Catholic author.  And, after the cake was cut and people were sitting quietly, the host of the party began to speak.  He began to talk about how great this book is and how insightful so much of it is.  Then he began to share quotes from it.  And I felt as if he chose two of them for me:

"Waiting is the training ground of trust."

"Beauty is the crescendo of waiting"
Now, although we have this book and my husband has read it, I have not (sorry, Fr. B).  But that night, I sat with the book while my hubby and I sat down to attempt to watch a movie and I scoured the book for the above quotes.  Too shy to ask the host for the pages for these quotes, I skimmed page by page until I found them.  And after I found the first quote, I was confronted with line after line about waiting.  I read…