Italian Wedding Soup has become a favorite in our family. It is fairly easy to make the whole family enjoys it. It is perfect for cold fall nights. I have adapted this recipe from Allrecipes.com to make it a bit more healthy.
Italian Wedding Soup
- 1/2 pound ground turkey meat
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 5 3/4 cups chicken broth, low fat, low sodium version
- 2 cups thinly sliced spinach
- 2 cups cooked orzo pasta (1 cup uncooked)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
- In medium bowl, combine turkey meat, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil and onion powder; shape into 3/4 inch balls. Bake these in the oven at 350 for about 10 min, or until browned.
- In large saucepan, heat broth to boiling; stir in spinach, chopped carrot and meatballs. Return to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook at slow boil for 10 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Add about 15 min before serving.