1. We started school this Wednesday. I had been pretty stressed about starting again and had not slept well since we came back from vacation. But the first three days of school went well.
2. I have instituted a formal system of bribery in our school. The boys earn Monopoly Money for various school work (doing extra work or reading, getting 100% on a test, knowing the answers to questions when I ask, good handwiritng, etc, etc). The boys save up the money to buy things like an extra field trip, an ice cream sundae party, no math day, etc. So far the boys are doing great. My oldest counts his money every morning. He wants to earn the school lunch party with the lunch of his choice (Papa Johns pizza). The whole money system has caused impromptu math lessons with advanced addition and subtraction. So far I like this! Thanks, Mom, for the idea!
3. I forgot just how messy my house is while homeschooling. Up until about 3 PM, most of the house is a disaster! There are books on the floor, crayons strewn about, school books all over my kitchen table and counters, and dishes that fill the sink. To make matters worse, it has been raining non-stop here, so the house is all closed up and the dog has been tracking in mud into our kitchen.
4. I love the homeschooling curriculum we use! Love them!! Sonlight, Saxon Math and Sing, Spell, Read and Write, you are the best for our family! These curriculum might not work for every child, but they seem to fit the learning styles and needs of my three boys so well.
5. Our schedule kicks into full gear next week. We will start heading to daily mass at least twice a week. Plus, CCD, archery and cub scouts all start this weekend/next week too! J is registered for a 5K at the end of September, so training will need to commence. Bring on the Fall!
6. It is clear that my boys do not like crafts or coloring unless it has to do with soldiers or Star Wars. Yesterday we celebrated the Feast of the Nativity of Mary. I had coloring pages and wanted to do crafts. But the only thing the boys were interested in were the brownie cupcakes we made to celebrate the day!
7. It is almost 3PM and the house is still messy . . . .gotta go clean!
Have a great weekend everyone!