Skip to main content

Run for the Dream Half Marathon Race recap

So, this was the race I wanted to PR at.  I will start with, I did not PR.  I finished about 10 minutes slower than my PR.  And I am OK with that.

The weekend had been long before Sunday morning.  Friday was packed with activity and Saturday was stuffed!  I was on my feet most of the day Saturday and by the afternoon I was tired.  Which got me worried about how the race would go the next day.  My nutrition had not been great while travelling either.  Greasy pizza is not usually on my menu for race week, but this week, it was (twice)!  I kept my water intake up, but even with that I did not feel like I was going into the race day in the best position I could be in.

When I woke up Sunday morning, I was exhausted.  Normally, race day adrenaline gets me moving fast in the morning of the race, but this morning, it was not working.  I got ready for the race, ate and  then headed down to get the shuttle.

The race start was neat.  The Colonial Williamsburg Fife and Drum Corp played and marched the runners into the corrals.  At 7:30 AM we were off and running.  With a short trip through William and Mary's Campus, we headed straight into Colonial Williamsburg.

Now, I had no real, good plan for this race. I wanted to PR and I knew the pace I had to keep to do that, but I was not sure how to run the race.  I have been using the Jeff Galloway run/walk method for most of my longer runs, but thought I might just run this race without walking. Somewhere in mile 1 I figured that would be a bad idea. I know I can run faster when I take walk breaks, so keeping them up would be my best shot at getting a PR.

By mile 2, I really had to find a port-a-potty.  Not good.  Other than my marathon, I have successfully avoided using port-a-potties during races.  But not this day.  The ones on the race course were full with a line, but luckily Colonial Williamsburg had a few right off the course that were there due to the concert the night before, so I ran over to them.  That slowed me down a bunch and my stomach was still bothering me, but I was able to keep at or below my goal pace for the next few miles.  Then I started to slow.  The course was beautiful, but it did have rolling hills.  We ran down Colonial Parkway down to the James River.  It was really breathtaking. 

By mile 8, I knew I would not be able to PR.  By mile 10, my stomach was done.  I needed to figure out a way to calm my stomach down or find a port-a-potty.  I passed the port-a-potties and decided to risk continuing on.  I figured I could finish faster if I tried to walk it off. Luckily, that worked, but I had to take it slow.  Anytime, I started to speed up my stomach started acting up again (I think that is why I look like I am barely walking in this photo . . . I really am running here!!).

Mile 12 - Why do they wait until I am hot, sweaty and tired to take my photo???
I headed into the stadium for the last .2 of a mile around the track to the finish line. I ran as fast as I could and actually passed a few people along the way.

Chip time: 2:17:30
 As soon as I was done, I quickly drank a bottle of water and a chocolate milk and headed to the after party.  I grabbed my food and sat down to cool off and try to eat.  One of the foods was a BBQ pork sandwich . . . I ate half of it and felt so sick.  What was I thinking?  The finish was a long walk away from the where we were to get the bus back to the hotel . . . I was not up for it.  Plus, there was this cute running skirt on sale for $15 that I wanted and I had NO money on me, so I called my hubby to pick me up.  I walked to the street.  Got there and realized, I needed to find the port a potties again.  I seriously was like that for the next two hours!  This was the first race that I felt SICK after.  There were times I felt light headed and like I could faint . . . all due to my stomach.  I layed down at the hotel for a while after my shower and ate pretzels and that seemed to help.  The strange thing was was that I was not sore at all.  My legs felt good.  So good, that I felt fine to walk around Busch Gardens for the rest of the afternoon after my stomach recovered.  (We had a GREAT time at Busch Gardens!)

Even with the stomach issues, from start to finish, I loved this race.  We love to go to Willimasburg and it was really such a great experience to run there!  The race was well organized and the course was beautiful (and most of it was well shaded too . . a big plus for a sunny, warm day).  And I felt that I ran well.  I may not have PR'ed, but I felt like I ran as well as I could.


  1. Oh, no your poor stomach! Aside from those issues I'm happy to read that you enjoyed the beautiful course and that the race was so nice. I still think you did an awesome job time-wise. :)


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift (Our NFP story) Part 2

(You can read  Part 1 here

     So, by the time Andrew was 18 months old, we knew God was saying no to having more children at the time.  And, as mentioned before, He provided so much peace about it, that we knew we had discerned correctly.  Yet, even with that peace, I had to mourn the fact the we might not ever have any more children.  Yes, we were still open to life, of course, but from the time after Andrew’s birth, until today, we practiced NFP faithfully to avoid pregnancy.  And it took time to accept that we might not have any more children.  There were times when I would hold a friend’s new born baby and then go home and cry because I knew I might not ever know the joy of holding my own baby again.  We live in a community where life is celebrated and families are large.  Usually more than one friend is pregnant at a time.  In those early days, each pregnancy announcement was met with great joy for the friend, but often left me with an empty feeling.  I understood, in many way…

My verse for the year

But now, O LORD, You are our Father, We are the clay, and You our potter; And all of us are the work of Your hand.   Isaiah 6:48

There are boxes being unpacked in our home.  Boxes packed and meant to be unpacked in a different home, our new home, in a matter of two weeks.  

About two weeks before Christmas things changed.  Situations changed.  And what we were convinced was God's will just months before, seemed so unlike it now.  Things beyond our control happened and suddenly we were praying and we felt that the best and only solution was to walk away from this new house.  And at the end of  a week of uncertainty, anxiety and tension, once the decision was made to walk away from the house, there was a great deal of peace.   But, as the dust settles from the decision, even though we know it is the best for everyone involved, there is still sadness, still this sense of loss.  As we have prayed again and again, we know each of all of the steps we have made in this whole house journey …

Yonanas and a yummy protein chocolate peanut butter ice cream

I have to admit, I have a sweet tooth.  A big sweet tooth.  I blame it on genetics.  My dad loves sweets and I think my grandmother, his mother, subsisted only on foods that contained sugar.  But, when you are working on eating healthy and bringing the whole family along with you, things like ice cream, cookies and cakes have to replaced by something better.

So, when Lena from JOYfilled family posted about the Yonanas she got, I wanted to try it!  Yonanas makes "ice cream" from frozen bananas.  I have heard of making "ice cream" this way before and I have tried it in our blended, but it usually came out quite liquidy.  So, when we got a gift card for Amazon, I knew exactly what I wanted to buy.

I have used the Yonanas several times and I love it!!  The consistency of the "ice cream" is very smooth, light and creamy.  My 4 year old, who is a very picky eater, loves his new "ice cream."  Now, my older boys could not be fooled . . . they immediatel…