Skip to main content

Cold Turkey 10K Report

This weekend I ran in a local race, called the Cold Turkey 10K. I signed up for this race shortly after my last 10K. After my last experience, I knew I had a lot to learn about running in a race. I wanted to run in another 10K before the 26.2K so I could work on my pacing and overall running.

Earlier in the week, I woke up with a bad pain in my leg. I have had problems with my left leg, on and off, for a few weeks now, and Wednesday my calf tightened up horribly. I tried to run, thinking that would help, but I had to stop after two miles. For the rest of the day, I was hobbling around. By Friday, it was better, but not 100%, so I was already mentally planning on skipping the race. Saturday, I felt pretty good, but did not think it would be wise for me to run in the 10K. I did not want to injure my leg any further. So Saturday night, I laid out all of my clothes and got ready as if I would run the race. The race was only 20 min away, and I had paid the $20, so I figured at least I would pick up my t-shirt! Sunday morning I woke up, ate a little, and left for the race. When I pulled in the parking lot, I knew I would run. There were runners all over. Some already warming up. You could feel the excitement in the air. So, I called my hubby and told him I was going to run. I planned on taking it easy and treat it like a training run.

When it was time to line up, I lined up at the back of the pack. I planned on running a 10 min. mile pace. The race started and I ran well. The weather was perfect; sunny, and just slightly cool. I passed the 1 mile marker and checked my watch; 8:15. I was running way too fast. I was feeling great, no pain in my leg, but I wanted to take it easy, so I slowed WAY down. I felt great during the whole race. I prayed quietly for the first several miles and then listened to my iPOD for the the rest. Miles 1.5-3.5 were very hilly, but I felt pretty good during the hills. When I came to water stations, I walked through them. I knew I did not really need hydration, but I wanted to learn the best way to drink while racing, and walking, by far, was the easiest and best option. By mile 4, I felt amazing. I was a little surprised, because by this time, in my last 10 K I was starting to get tired. When I hit mile 5, I began to speed up and ran conservatively strong the last 1.2 miles. Once I got close to the finish line, I got really excited. This was the first race that my boys were going to be there for and I could not wait to see them cheering me on. They are the main reason I started running in the first place. I wanted to be a better mom for them and taking care of myself is one way I have done that. So, I was so happy that I could share this moment with them. Once I saw them, I began to yell Hi and wave wildly . . . other runners probably thought I was a little crazy! I crossed the finish line at 56:20 (on my watch . . . there was no official time). I was pleased with that time and surprised by it too. It was only 40 sec. behind my last 10K and I ran HARD then. This race, I took it easy. I guess my endurance has increased a great deal in the last month. And, praise God, I have had NO pain in my leg either!

So, after my second 10K, I have to say, I really like the distance. You do not have to run insanely fast, as you do in a 5K, you are done in under an hour, and you are not in any pain the rest of the day! Also, I am officially addicted! I can see why people compete in races regularly. They are so much fun!


  1. Wow!! Good for you! I can't even run 1K probably...LOL! I am so glad that you have found a way to exercize, be a good example for the boys and enjoy yourself all at's THAT for multi-tasking?? HURRAY for more endurance, a healed leg and the boys coming to see you race. Can't wait to hear about more of your running adventures.

  2. Awesome race, again! That's so cool that your kids cheered you on, they must be so proud to have a mom who's a runner! My oldest (6) always says "I didn't know you could run that fast!" even though I'm not fast at all!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

  3. ah at last, I found this article again. You have few [url=]useful tips[/url] for my school project. This time, I won't forget to bookmark it. :)


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift (Our NFP story) Part 2

(You can read  Part 1 here

     So, by the time Andrew was 18 months old, we knew God was saying no to having more children at the time.  And, as mentioned before, He provided so much peace about it, that we knew we had discerned correctly.  Yet, even with that peace, I had to mourn the fact the we might not ever have any more children.  Yes, we were still open to life, of course, but from the time after Andrew’s birth, until today, we practiced NFP faithfully to avoid pregnancy.  And it took time to accept that we might not have any more children.  There were times when I would hold a friend’s new born baby and then go home and cry because I knew I might not ever know the joy of holding my own baby again.  We live in a community where life is celebrated and families are large.  Usually more than one friend is pregnant at a time.  In those early days, each pregnancy announcement was met with great joy for the friend, but often left me with an empty feeling.  I understood, in many way…

The Gift (Our NFP story) Part I

(I started writing this post months ago, but have not had time to refine it and finish it.  I have felt the need to hit "publish" lately though.  Maybe it is because Hope is too quickly approaching 12 months old and my desire to share it's sentiments would be lost soon. Or maybe it is because this week is the March for Life and the sacredness of life is before me in a precious little girl and I want to remember that, in words, here.  But whatever the reason, here is our story of seeking God's will and and being open to life.)

Shortlyafter we announced that we wereexpectingbaby Hope, I felt that I needed to share ourNFPstory.  Partially, it was because we had so many people say thingslike, "What a miracle!" or share stories of how people they knew were infertile, adopted and then had a baby of their own, thatI feltthat many people probably got the wrong idea about why we had three boys, waited a while and adopted and then found out we were expecting a baby wh…

My verse for the year

But now, O LORD, You are our Father, We are the clay, and You our potter; And all of us are the work of Your hand.   Isaiah 6:48

There are boxes being unpacked in our home.  Boxes packed and meant to be unpacked in a different home, our new home, in a matter of two weeks.  

About two weeks before Christmas things changed.  Situations changed.  And what we were convinced was God's will just months before, seemed so unlike it now.  Things beyond our control happened and suddenly we were praying and we felt that the best and only solution was to walk away from this new house.  And at the end of  a week of uncertainty, anxiety and tension, once the decision was made to walk away from the house, there was a great deal of peace.   But, as the dust settles from the decision, even though we know it is the best for everyone involved, there is still sadness, still this sense of loss.  As we have prayed again and again, we know each of all of the steps we have made in this whole house journey …